Monday, November 8, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese Caruso!

This was the most delicious Mac and Cheese I have had in a long time!
A flavorful macaroni and cheese casserole with chicken, bacon, and peas.

Click on image to enlarge.



The original ingredients are in black. What I did will be in purple.


Ingredients:


4 cups chicken broth ~~~ I used 3 cans of the Swanson brand chicken broth
2 slices bacon, cut up ~~~ I cut about 3” off the package of bacon and then cut it up
1/3 cup finely chopped onion ~~~ I really like onions so I used about 3/4 cup
2 cups shredded American cheese ~~~ I used about 3-4 cups
1 package frozen green peas, cooked and drained, (10 oz) ~~~ I did not use this ingredient. Mostly because I don't like peas
3 tablespoons sherry ~~~ As a substitute I used 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked ~~~ I wanted to use a different pasta so I used one box of Ziti
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper ~~~ I used about 1/2 cup of orange peppers
2 cups cooked chicken, cut up ~~~ Unseasoned
1/4 cup chopped pimiento ~~~ I did not have this ingredient. It tasted great without it though!


Preparation:


In a saucepan, heat chicken broth to boiling. Add macaroni. Cook 10 minutes or until tender; do not drain. In a large skillet, cook the chicken add uncooked bacon and fry bacon until crisp; add green or orange pepper and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender. No need to drain, the chicken will absorb the juices. Stir into macaroni-broth mixture, add remaining ingredients. Heat through. Serve with freshly diced tomatoes and fresh parsley!
Serves 6 to 8.



This was so good, the kids even ate it! If you decide to make this come back and leave me a comment with your opinion! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Michelle Claire said...

Oh my goodness Selissa, that looks good!!! I think I'll make that soon! We just had the regular mac n cheese yesterday, and I am not a fan, so I ate something else... but I will eat that!!! :)

Click here to read the "welcome" post and learn more about this family blog!